– 2½ cups dashi stock (made with dashi stock powder is the easiest)
– 3 tablespoons Japanese soy sauce
– 2 tablespoons mirin
– ½ teaspoon sesame oil
– 1 tablespoon peanut or canola oil
– 2 scallions (spring onions) – finely sliced (reserving a little for garnish)
– 2 teaspoons finely grated ginger
– 1 cup Japanese short-grain rice (like Koshihikari rice)
– ½ red pepper – diced
– 12 snow peas (mange tout) – halved on the diagonal
– 16 large uncooked shrimp (prawns) – peeled
* Add the ginger and rice and cook for a minute, stirring to coat the rice with oil.
* Add the stock and sauce mix, red pepper and snow peas, bring to the boil then cover with a lid and reduce the heat to low.
* Simmer gently for 15 minutes without lifting the lid.
* Remove the lid, and quickly place the shrimp on top of the rice, then cover and cook for 5 minutes.
* Stir to combine and serve garnished with the reserved scallion.